I can recall countless times of thinking, “there’s nothing to do in Jessamine County.” Although in moments of boredom, this assumption may seem true, after some research of Nicholasville and the surrounding area, it is apparent that this October will not be lacking in exciting autumn activities. Whether you enjoy festivals, haunted trails or entertainment, there are plenty of events to keep you busy and in the fall spirit!
- 34th Annual Festival of the Horse: Downtown Georgetown, October 2nd through October 5th. This event is free and will have exhibits, concessions, parades, carnival, arts and crafts and a 5K run. )
- Boyds Orchards: Open all October, 1396 Pinckard Pike in Versailles, KY 40383.
- The Bourbon Chase: An overnight relay adventure, Teams of runners cover 200 miles of scenic byways along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, finishing in downtown Lexington with a huge street party. This event is October 10-11.
- Thursday Night Live: Beverages, food from local restaurants and music by live bands (Bands play from 5:30 – 8 p.m.). Sponsored by Central Bank. 4:30 PM – 9:00 PM at Cheapside Park Fifth Third Bank Pavilion. Admission is free.
- 2014 Thriller & Halloween Parade: Watch the recreation of Michael Jackson’s video “Thriller”, and enjoy the Halloween Parade. Sunday, October 26, 2014, Starting at 8:00 PM at the Courthouse Plaza.
- Keeneland Fall Race Meet: No racing on Mondays or Tuesdays. Live Thoroughbred racing at the most elegant race course in the world, opens Friday, October 3, 2014 – Saturday, October 25, 2014. Starts at 1:00 PM at Keeneland Race Course.
- Haunted Train Ride: 11 mile, 90 minute round trip train excursion through the horse farms of Central Kentucky. Friday, October 24, 2014 – Saturday, October 25, 2014. Starts at 8:00 PM at the Bluegrass Scenic Railroad and Museum, admission ranges from $11.50-$13.50.
- Fright Nights: at Jacobson Park every Thursday-Sunday in October OR at the barn located at 3898 Haley road.
- Terror on Tates Creek: 7:30 to Midnight -every Friday & Saturday, 7:30 to 10pm every Thursday & Sunday, 5817 Tates Creek Road Lexington, KY 40515.
- Shaker Village: Family fun days October 4,5,11,12,18,19,25, & 26. Night hike on October 18th.